To Improve the Quality of Life of Asian Pacific American Communities via Economic Development, Workforce Development, Civic Empowerment, and Community Education Activities
What is the Virginia Asian Foundation (VAF)
Created in 2007, Virginia Asian Foundation is a bonafide-certified IRS C3 Non Profit business organization in the Commonwealth of Virginia which promotes education and civic empowerment activities to encourage Asian Americans to realize the American dream.
As Sister Agency of the Virginia Asian Chamber of Commerce (VACC), VAF funds all education and community development activities of the VACC.
VAF has a grass-roots network of more than 75 youth and adult volunteers from statewide-diverse Asian and mainstream Virginia communities committed to activities set forth by our mission. Our volunteers are: Community members-entrepreneurs-youth-college and academic members from various sectors and social networks.
VAF Signature Programs
The Foundation implements:
1. An annual Asian scholarship program which awards students for their academic performance excellence.
2. A signature Asian workforce development program to foster personal leadership and service excellence among Asian Pacific American professionals through CareerConnect, VAF’s signature workforce development network of Asian professionals.
3. An annual Leadership Awards Program which annually awards outstanding public servants for their community leadership and service excellence.
4. A Mobile Health Care Program to provide outreach to the Asian community lacking health care insurance to gain access to free health check up and treatment by local health care agencies.
5. An outreach and intervention-counseling education program to encourage students from disadvantaged families to stay in school and pursue higher education and to prevent drop out among disadvantaged, hard-to-reach, and at-risk students in Virginia communities
6. Formalized Asian cultural education activities (classes, training, seminars, forums, workshops)
|True to our mission to elevate the quality of Asian American Pacific Islanders to help them make the most of their lives in America, Virginia Asian Foundation has the goals to educate 5,000 Asian community members annually.As of today our accomplishments include:We have hosted 15 events in statewide locations ( from Northern to Central to Hampton Roads areas) to educate the Asian community on:
|Virginia Asian Foundation has impacted greatly on the increase in the quality of life and awareness of the Asian Pacific Islanders residents in Virginia at large. We touched more than 10,000 individual Asian community members in PY 2015-2016 alone.As of today our accomplishments include:1. Making weekly home visits seeing families and communities from their own homes and volunteer at fairs, festivals, and educated them on cultural integration into the mainstream2. Offeriong resources on environmental, economic and civic empowerment to more than 2,800 members among our statewide Asian communities3. Helping to improve Asian communication skills4. Counseling more than 50 students annually
5.Offering career planning- coaching for more than 120 young professionals annually
6. Engaging 400 individuals annually at our annual leadership award
7 Working directly and partnering with 13 and more Asian cultural groups on preservation of one’s cultures
8 Engaging more than 250 community members annually during our annual legislative civic education session
9. Benefiting and helping to create jobs for 5,000 statewide Asian entrepreneurs annually at our education classes, forums, seminars
10. We help 300 non-insured members each quarter to receive free health care through community partnership
11. Partnering with more than eight (8) other statewide Asian non profit groups to directly promote financing literacy education and energy sharing
11. Partnering with all law enforcement in all Central Virginia to promote resources on individual safety- wellness- crime prevention at our annual law enforcement meetings, serving 400 members at this meeting. Community members feel safer and more connected to their law enforcement friends.
12 Partnering with the medical community to help with education on disease prevention
Most importantly: Our commitment and achievements have greatly helped the Virginia government and US society at large to be more keenly aware of the poverty and less fortunate among many sub-groups, thus clarify the Asian Model Minority Myth.
To outreach to VAF or to make donations to our C3 Charity organization, please contact us!
VAF Key Contact : Ms My Lan Tran, VAF Foundation Administrator at: email@example.com